Skip Navigation
New Food Packages - Click for more info


Frequently Asked Questions about Eligibility


How do I apply for WIC?

To apply for participation in the WIC Program, you can call or walk into your local WIC clinic to schedule an appointment. Call 1-800-942-3678 to locate a WIC clinic near you.

Who can apply for WIC?

  • Pregnant women
  • Breastfeeding women
  • Women who had a baby within the last six months
  • Parents, step-parents, guardians, and foster parents of infants and children up to their 5th birthday

What are the eligibility requirements?

  • You need to apply in person.
  • You need to meet income guidelines. WIC determines income based on gross income. We count all members of your household, related or not related to you. We also count your unborn baby as part of your household. If you bring proof of participation in Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) no other documents are needed. If you participate in one of these programs, you may already be eligible for WIC. Even if you don't qualify for one of these programs, you may still be eligible for WIC.
  • You need to have a health and nutrition checkup at your WIC appointment. WIC will measure, weigh, and check the iron level of each family member applying for WIC. This helps us write a "nutrition prescription" for a monthly food package that best fits you or your family.
  • You need to live in Texas. WIC provides services in every county and U.S. citizenship is not a requirement for eligibility.

How long can I stay on WIC?

If you meet the income and nutrition requirements:

  • Infants and children can stay on WIC up to their 5th birthday.
  • Women who are pregnant receive WIC food benefits until the end of their pregnancy.
  • Women who are exclusively or mostly breastfeeding receive WIC food benefits until their baby is 1 year old.
  • Women who are mostly or only-formula feeding receive WIC food benefits until their baby is 6 months old.

What about fathers?

Fathers of children under the age of less than 5 years old are encouraged to enroll their children in the WIC program. Just like any other parent or guardian, fathers can bring their children to appointments, attend nutrition classes, and get benefits for their children. Active participation by fathers helps keep WIC children healthy.

Who provides the services?

Many organizations offer WIC services such as local health departments, county and city agencies, migrant health centers, community action agencies, and hospitals.

Will I be able to use my Texas WIC card in another state?

No, the Texas WIC card can only be used in Texas.

What should I do if I move from Texas to another state?

Before you move, ask your Texas WIC clinic for a Verification of Certification form to take to your new state. You will need to make an appointment at the WIC office in your new state to have benefits issued.

What should I do if I moved to Texas from another state?

Contact the local WIC clinic in your area to tell them you want to transfer your WIC benefits from another state. If you do not know the nearest WIC clinic in your area, call 1-800-942-3678 for assistance.

What should I do if I move to a new address?

If you are in the same part of town, contact your WIC office and let them know your new address. If you move to another town or a different part of town, call the closest WIC clinic and request a transfer of your records. It may take up to four business days for the new clinic to receive your information.

What if I have other questions?

Call 1-800-942-3678.

To locate your closest WIC clinic call
visit our clinic locator


boy with hands in the air