Information for Physicians, Nurses, Dietitians, and other Health-Care Providers
You are a key partner in helping WIC participants make healthy choices. Here you will find breastfeeding promotion and support resources and WIC medical request forms.
WIC encourages all new moms to breastfeed according to medical recommendations - exclusively for six months with continued breastfeeding along with solid foods for at least one year. For mothers who can't or choose not to exclusively breastfeed, WIC provides limited amounts of infant formula. Most infants will need more formula than WIC is able to provide each month.
- Texas Lactation Support Hotline - 855-550-6667 - 24/7 service for breastfeeding families and healthcare providers with questions about lactation management
- WIC Lactation Support Centers - free lactation support services for all moms
- Mom's Place - Austin - 800-514-6667
- Lactation Foundation - Houston - 713-839-0527
- Lactation Care Center - Dallas - 855-550-6667
- Lactation Care Center Rio Grande Valley - McAllen - 956-292-7711
- Breastfeeding Trainings
- Health-care Provider's Guide to Breastfeeding app (free!)
Texas WIC provides Similac Advance or Good Start Soy if infant formula is requested. All other formulas and brands require a completed Medical Request Form for Formula/Food found at the link to the left. The request is reviewed and must be approved prior to issuance.